Knowledgeable Representation. Powerful Advocacy.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Criminal Defense
  4.  » Criminal Defense FAQ

Answering Your Questions About Criminal Law

Criminal charges and uncertainty go hand in hand. Anyone facing a criminal charge probably has a lot of questions. This is a situation where answers must be accurate and speedy.

Attorney James Scozzari of Scozzari Law, PLLC, has years of experience providing criminal defense to clients across Grand Rapids. Below are the answers to a few of the questions his clients ask when they meet with him.

How can having a criminal record affect my life?

A criminal record will follow you long after your arrest and conviction. It will turn up on background checks, and that can complicate:

  • Getting loans
  • Finding housing
  • Applying for jobs
  • Receiving security clearance
  • Acquiring professional licenses

Essentially, a criminal record can be a mark on your personal history that will serve as a barrier for a long time.

Why is it important to hire a criminal defense attorney early in your case?

Your right to remain silent is your first and most potent tool in your defense. However, staying silent will only go so far. An attorney can take point on communicating with police and managing the charges against you. Much of the early traction in a case is made without a lawyer present, so you can make a significant positive impact on your case by getting a lawyer as soon as possible.

What is the difference between a DUI and OWI?

In a sense, driving under the influence (DUI) and operating while intoxicated (OWI) are synonyms. There are some other minor, highly technical differences between the two charges. However, the fact is that the charge in Michigan is OWI, and there are no DUIs. While often both attorneys and authorities refer to it as a DUI, it is not.

Can you refuse a breathalyzer test in Michigan?

Refusing a breathalyzer violates Michigan’s implied consent law and comes with significant penalties, including an extended license suspension.

How does criminal history impact the outcome of a case?

Your criminal history can impact the case in many ways. The prosecution can use your record to establish a pattern. In certain cases, a criminal history leads to more severe penalties.

Get Your Answers From Scozzari Law, PLLC

The above answers are general information. You should not consider these answers advice, and you definitely should speak with attorney James Scozzari about your case. You see, your unique set of circumstances will change how your case goes. Learn more about what can happen by calling 616-828-0687 or sending an email.